Statement of Principles for the Oklahoma GOP
[These were adopted in 2013, and precede the Platform. Unfortunately, the Platform has a number of items that contradict there principles and/or try to micromanage the legislature. We believe the platform should be principles, with specific legislation based on, and evaluated, by them. Moreover, some of these principles may need additional clarification or adjustment. The Platform is up for revision at every State Convention.]
We believe in limited government, individual liberty, and personal moral responsibility.
We believe Oklahoma should be a place of opportunity where people who work hard and abide by the rules can pursue their own dreams with a reasonable expectation of success.
As Republicans we believe:
- Our rights of life, liberty, and property are natural rights granted to us by God and protected by the Constitution.
- In the right to worship as we please without government intrusion or interference.
- The federal government’s power is constitutionally limited, yet responsible for protecting our sovereignty, establishing justice under law, and securing our liberty through a strong national defense and effective law enforcement.
- God is the Author and Creator of life and that all human life, both born and unborn, should be protected.
- In traditional marriage consisting of one man and one woman.
- It is the private sector and free market principles that best stimulate economic development rather than government subsidies or programs.
- Taxes collected at all levels of government should be used only for legitimate government functions, and those functions carried out efficiently so that tax rates may be kept as low as possible.
- That government closest to the people governs best and is preferred to centralized control.
- It is the right of every parent to act in his or her children’s best interest including choosing the form of education, whether public school, private school, or home school.
- We should welcome immigrants who want to legally seek freedom and opportunity, who want to work for a living and who will embrace our values, learn the English language, and respect our national sovereignty.
- See more at the OK GOP website.